You love makeup. It makes you feel confident, beautiful, and put-together. It's an art form, and you take pride in your collection of products and skills. But there's one thing that's been nagging at you lately: the environmental impact of your beloved beauty products.
You know that conventional makeup comes with a heavy carbon footprint, from the synthetic ingredients to the packaging to the shipping. And while you recycle everything you can and avoid single-use plastics, you can't help but feel guilty about the impact of your makeup routine. But never fear! There are plenty of ways to make small changes that will lighten your ecological load without sacrificing your style. Keep reading to learn more about eco-friendly makeup swaps that are good for the planet—and your conscience.
Eco-Friendly Makeup Swaps to Try
1. Ditch disposable cotton rounds and switch to reusable ones made of bamboo or other sustainable materials.
2. Invest in a set of good quality makeup brushes that will last for years, rather than cheap ones that you have to replace every few months. Not only will this save you money in the long run, it will also reduce waste.
3. Buy loose powder products instead of pressed ones, which come in packaging that is difficult or impossible to recycle.
4. Choose mineral-based sunscreens over chemical sunscreens, which can be damaging to coral reefs and other aquatic ecosystems.
5. Say goodbye to microbeads! Microbeads are tiny plastic balls found in some exfoliating scrubs and cleansers. These beads eventually make their way into our waterways, where they're ingested by fish and other marine animals—with devastating consequences. Instead, opt for scrubs with natural exfoliants like salt, sugar, or oatmeal.
6 .When purchasing new makeup, look for brands that use sustainable packaging made from recycled materials—or better yet, brands that offer refillable options.
7 .Make your own DIY beauty products! Not only is this fun, it's also a great way to reduce packaging waste and avoid harmful chemicals found in some store-bought cosmetics.
8 .Finally, don't forget about the "reduce" part of "reduce, reuse, recycle"! Just because you can buy something doesn't mean you need it. Think carefully before making any new purchases, and only buy what you will actually use on a regular basis.
Making even a few small changes to your beauty routine can have a big impact on the planet—and your wallet! By investing in high-quality products that will last, using sustainable packaging options, and being more conscious about what you buy, you can easily make your beauty routine more eco-friendly—without sacrificing style or quality. So go forth and be beautiful—the earth will thank you for it!
At Eco Health we have designed and produced a set of reusable bamboo makeup remover pads, that will look after the environment.
See our Eco Health Bamboo Makeup Remover Pads here: